Moon flight

After four hours waiting on the tarmac
on a plane home
only for it to then be grounded, 
my hot and heavy limbs
sank into a new aeroplane seat,
my body 
a beanbag without much stuffing
folding down on itself. 
A privileged kind of holiday fatigue,
the kind where I'm scorched and 
languid, 
salt-marked and bronzed from days of
enviable winter sun.
But still, 
nobody wants to spend four hours
on a plane that doesn't even take off.
The new plane was smaller,
hotter,
busier,
but on the ascent we tracked a giant glowing
peppermint in the dark-
a full moon in virgo,
blaring a white runway of light on the
sea which we flew over at alarming speed.
It's funny, flying,
isn't it. 
How it's both real and unreal
at the same time,
like so many other things in life. 
I ordered an unnecessary wine,
and wanted to read my book but
all I could do was 
gaze out there,
at that peppermint moon,
the way you eye someone you know
will become a lover, but
before anything has happened. 
It stayed right by my side for hours;
the whole flight,
longer than I sat on that other 
dead aircraft,
reminding me to think about letting go, 
and my intentions,
and look back at old ones I'd made. 
I'd never have seen this moon 
if we'd set off on time,
I thought, 
wondering what it was about the leylines of fate 
that made me look at its cool and
watchful presence tonight,
over a sea that scared me,
wondering if anyone ever really wants to
go home. 

Comments

Popular Posts