Pincushion

I came home from a weekend away
to find the town christmas lights up:
swathes of sparkles round the lampposts
and threaded through the trees.
The cold mornings 
taste like an ice cube on my tongue,
bright sun squinting in my face;
the diamond days are always the most
rewarding. 
The gloomy days are harder, 
the drizzle polka-dotting my glasses,
when it gets to mid-morning 
and still hasn't quite got light yet -
and won't before the evening
starts at four and
swallows up the day.
Heartache seems better suited to winter-
maybe it wouldn't sit as well in 
sticky heat, under blue skies, 
on a beach, or at a barbecue.
But if I bundle up in my coat and scarf enough 
perhaps my heart will feel better,
nestled under layers.
I look at tree decorations in shops
even though I won't have my tree up 
this year, or even be in my home.
I play Joni Mitchell's River, 
a holiday season sad cliché I know,
but I can't resist.
I start to resent how the ending of a year 
makes you endlessly reflect,
and the stabs
show themselves too keenly
on my pincushion heart.
I feel it all, though,
and carry on,
on those gloomy clouded days
as much as on
the lovely diamond ones.

Comments

Popular Posts