Endless walks

It's 7am and minus 1. 
The floor is glittered with frost
like 90s Co-op floors used to be,
shimmering on every step. 
I clutch the keep-cup that keeps me
company on every walk I go on,
these endless walks,
my lockdown routine. 
In before-times, I'd still be in bed at this point,
perhaps,
not leaving for the office until 8.20.
But here I am, trudging blearily towards sunrise,
a peek of purple above the church
warning my camera roll of more clogging.
I walk past the closed shops and bars,
the doors like poor mouths clamped shut.
One of the bars has a parade of
coffee syrups on the bar, crystallised
from months of non-use,
I wonder if they'll ever open again. 
The bottles, I mean, 
but also the bars. 
My depression-purchase ankle length hoodie
swishes against my legs, keeping me warm.
I think about how accustomed I am becoming to cold;
these endless walks,
being indoors all day and resisting putting the heating on,
walking down to the beach and slipping into the sea so I can feel something.
I wonder if we'll carry on doing all of these things,
in after-times, 
or if we'll just laugh at how many
tragic little walks we went on,
and stay in bed instead,
missing the sunrise. 




Comments

Popular Posts